Manufactured and Packaged in Sri Lanka with the Finest Sri Lankan Material.

The Fat Green Bar

Have you ever recoded or made a DVD on Windows Vista using the bundled applications (Windows Movie Maker and Windows DVD Maker)? Did the final result include a fat green bar covering the bottom half of the video? Were you using Xvid Videos?

Say hello to one big problem with Windows Vista's bundled software! A green bar coveres the bottom half of the screen and squeezes the poor video in to the top half. You get a beautiful squashed video.

This often happens to those who download Xvid encoded videos from the internet and try to burn them to a DVD or just recode them to WMV (Windows Media Video format). I, myself, sacrificed an expensive Dual Layer DVD to Windows DVD Maker when trying to burn a cool film on to DVD. The result was horrible and I beleive no movie ever deserves such treatment (OK, maybe I am wrong).

**Note that Nero 8 Ultra Edition never worked with DivX or Xvid files for me. Anyone with a solution is more than welcome to comment here and educate me. Thanks.

Solution

Download and install the Xvid Codec (Click Here). Then go to All Programs > Xvid > Configure Decoder. In the "Output" section, enable "Compatibility Renderer".

Voila! Your videos will finally get the proper treatment. No more Fat Green Bar. But still I hope Microsoft does something about this.

7 comments:

  Anonymous

April 7, 2008 at 3:57 AM

yes i did that & worked juss fine except my aspect ratio of the movie became a block instead of wide or full screen!

  Anonymous

February 28, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Hey your website is cool
Have a look at this funny emo video:
http://tinyurl.com/9zdns5

  Anonymous

April 19, 2010 at 4:16 AM

I cannot even get that far!
I did not even have XVid installed on my computer, rather I had DivX, however, I went to XVid's site, downloaded and installed it, THEN began the steps suggested.

I typed XVid in the Start Up Search bar and got a few items. I didn't know which to choose, so I went through them one by one, and none of them got me to any option to Configure.

  Anonymous

June 30, 2010 at 7:32 PM

My Xvid decoder doesnt even function it worked fine before but now the apply button doesnt even highlight therefor doesnt force any changes and even though the compatibility renderer is on, still leaves that huge fat ugly green bar on every video i do :(

Thing is though it worked a few weeks back but now it doesnt any ideas why?

  Anonymous

October 13, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Obviously you were mistaken...

  Anonymous

December 17, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Where to get the 64bit version if you are using vista 64bit. Only way I could get the configuration screen to open.

http://www.easy-share.com/1905652891/xvid-1.2.2-x86_x64.zip

  Anonymous

February 6, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Marriages are made in heaven.